Education Program Implementation and Coursework Guidelines
The education program and its coursework formulated as the UGAS curriculum is to be implemented according to the following guidelines.
1. Education Program
The education program, as the basis of education at UGAS, is organised as follows:
- (1) Research guidance
- (2) Seminars (Total of 60 hours)
- (3) Midterm dissertation presentation
2. Education Method
UGAS education is implemented based on an education program with research guidance at its core. The courses are treated as prerequisites in the degree application. In addition, the Specialised Education Methods as stipulated in Article 14 of the Standards for Establishment of Graduate Schools, and the Long Term Study Plan, were introduced for working students so that they can more easily receive instruction and research guidance and to provide education in an appropriate manner that gave consideration to the schooling environment of those students. Furthermore, the administration of these systems shall be approved and implemented after the applicants and supervisors discuss in full what they hope for in the application of these systems and a preliminary review of the agreement gained between the two parties that systematic research guidance/instruction can be appropriately carried out.
|Specialised Education Method||A system in which instruction and classes are held in the evening and other designated times for working students who find it difficult to attend school during the day on weekdays due to their hours of work.|
|Long Term Study Plan||A system that makes it possible to undertake a course in a planned manner by specifying a term of study that extends the normal period of 3 years by up to a maximum of 2 years because of a working student’s employment situation. (Tuition: Payment for normal 3-year period of study only.)|
- The research guidance/instruction for UGAS students is conducted in cooperation and liaison with the supervisor and 2 co-supervisors.
- To systematically advance UGAS’ research guidance/instruction the supervisor will, in cooperation with the co-supervisors, create and submit the Education and Research Proposal at the time students enroll in UGAS.
- From the perspective of trying to improve teaching effectiveness for students at UGAS, the supervisor and student will produce from their respective positions a report (prescribed form) on the progress of the coursework and research and submit it by the end of the academic year. Based on this, the Associate Dean and education research coordinator will provide timely advice and any necessary guidance relevant to a student’s research progress.
- Joint Seminars
- ・ Purpose: To gain a broader understanding of the areas related to a student’s major as well as provide basic knowledge about research methodologies and writing reports for a doctoral program. In addition, strive for exchanges between students across the three universities including foreign students.
- ・ Implementation: In general, conducted in the form of a residential training course over 3 days (20 hours).
- ・ Participation: In principle, once a year. Those who cannot attend annually shall participate every 2 or 3 years.
- ・ Prerequisite: Participation in this seminar is treated as a prerequisite in the dissertation application. However, if participation proves difficult for working students, they will be permitted to submit reports and other assignments instead.
- Special Seminars
- ・ Purpose: Primarily to gain specialized expertise in the discipline they will major in with the overall aim of acquiring the necessary skills and techniques to have what it takes to be independent researchers and technical specialists.
- ・ Implementation: The supervisor and co-supervisors together create a program tailored for the students to be implemented over 3 years (40 hours).
- ・ Participation: 1-3 per year.
- ・ Prerequisite: Participation in this seminar is treated as a prerequisite in the dissertation application.
(3) Midterm Dissertation Presentation
- Purpose: Gauge a student’s research progress and provide any necessary guidance on the writing of the dissertation.
- Implementation: Implemented for each field of research a student is associated with. In principle, it is held up to 6 months before the submission of the final dissertation.
- Completion Prerequisite: Treated as a prerequisite in the doctoral degree application.